Monday, June 12, 2006

I want to see this:


... now.

Even though it probably won't be as good as the first. But if it's more of the same (Captain Jack beng funny, lots of swashbuckling, Keira Knightley's heaving femmiesacks, Orlando being pretty, general pirateyness...) then I won't be complaining. And then I want the third one in a month or so, since I just don't do deferred gratification.


Other films currently making me pant with anticipation:



Stormbreaker

Now this looks dead good, I've read two thirds of the Anthony Horowitz (my favourite author!!) book n' everything. It's really not his best.

Basically it's just James Bond for kids, which means it should be a bit more nimble and lacking the cackey sexual inuendo, which Are You Being Served? always did far better anyway.

It's set in Blighty and the cast includes Stephen Fry, Ewan McGregor, that guy who played Gollum and King Kong , along with Jimmy Carr for some reason. Plus there's him ^^^ with his lovely golden hair.





Marie Antoinette


My GCSE English course taught me two words - "juxtapositon" and "eponymous". If I wanted to look a bit clever I could use the latter to describe Kirsten Dunst's character in Sofia "quite good at making films, but still probably not as good as her dad is" Coppola's latest film. Although normally I'd say "titular", because the first three letters are like booby. Teeheehee.

It's meant to be all postmodern and have a nice contemporary soundtrack (including "I Want Candy" and stuff by The Cure), plus Antoinette seemed like an interest fella, so how can it be rubbish?

Except apparently it is, and was booed into next week at the Cannes screening. I still want to see it though, and most films are shit if we're being honest.





Superman Returns

I don't really like Superman - he's a bit nerdy/dull and Clark Kent's disguise of wearing glasses is just so rubbish that I can never get over it and tend to spend most of the time shouting "Are you fucking retarded??! Look at him!! He's quite obviously Superman!!" at all the characters too simple to work it out.

This one pretty much carries on from the other films, hence the fact that they've pretty much cast Christopher Reeve MkII. I only wanna see it because it's being directed by the genius Brian Singer, who made the first two X-Men and The Usual Suspects so ace.





Also:

  • Southland Tales - Director Richard Kelly's apocalypse-set follow up to the nearly perfect Donnie Darko. Early buzz suggests that it's mind blowingly awful :( It's got Sean William Scott, Sarah Michelle Gellar and The Rock in it though, so this isn't too suprising.
  • Babel - Palme D'Or winner starring both Brad Pitt AND Gael Garcia Bernal. Which is just really lovely.

Film geek and proud.


x

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're on the right course, much.
I fucking can't wait for Pirates 2 and 3...but being the not-s0-flim-nerd I am, thats as descriptive as I can get.
Also Babel, cos its has hot guys.
Your course paid off, I feel all dumb and stupid. Does dumb mean stupid? You get the idea.
x

Gareth said...

Let's get one thing clear. I have learned nothing about films from my course. Absolutely nothing. Actually that's a lie, because I have learned close analysis. Although that was from the television leccies, which I actually went to.

Still, it's a far more important knowledge to have than, I dunno, learning how to stop people from dying.


x

Anonymous said...

If any of these come to Aber I shall go see them wit hyou, I like the look of all of them.

Rogue Traders are on my tellybox!

Gareth said...

I know what you're thinking... and yes it is ok for you to fancy the Stormbreaker boy. Since April 10th, according to IMDB. So he's not another Joseph McManners :(

grimbin said...

aint spoke for few days so sum stuff 2 fill u in on:

1. I earnt £90 today for 3 hours and 10 minutes work. (being self employed is ace).

2. I had to pay a big fat fuck in overalls £75 to remove the rust bucket of a clamp he put on my car while I was earning my £90.

3. Go to: http://www.anglegrinderman.org/
Fuckin hilarious.

4. I compiled a list of films for u to watch over your summer hiatus:

* Wierd science (u will understand that bit in Girls Aloud show then)
*The Talented Mr Ripley (in case u havent already, great summer flick plus that look is pretty big this summer, think white tennis shorts and short sleeve full button shirts in pastel shades and leather espadrilles, so cool)
* Dead man on campus
* Euro trip
* Road trip
* Disney Hercules (Just beacause.)
* From dusk til dawn
* Romancing the stone
* The jewel of the nile (bak when Mikey Dougilas rocked and danny devito was kool)
* Ruthless people
* Alfie (original Caine one, style at its best)
* Finian's Rainbow (my fave musical with frank sinatra doing wat he does best)
* Tin Cup (best golf movie ever, apart from happy gilmore)
* Happy Gilmore (for above reason)
* Cold Mountain
that'll bout do it for this week...

5. Get up oevery morning and
watch "Don't get done, get Dom", good show.

6. Watch "Queens" this week. No its not a cross dressing program, but a rather good tennis tournament wat has the luvvly andy roddick playing this week.

7. Read 'Angels & Demons' by dan brown, kicks the ass of Da vinci code, shuld be mad into a film.

8. Sammy Smith wants us to go out with him, so we gotta arrange that.

Well there you go, a nice to do list to keep ur fickle mind ticking over for time being.

Take care old friend.

Gareth said...

Hello!

1. Ooh well done you. What for though? I'm still not entirely sure what it is you do.

2. Sorry to hear this. BUT, it probably serves you right though. And you should really have learned your lesson after the ticket a few months back.

3. I only read the first quarter and the end, because it's the maximum that my attention span allows for. But it was quite good. And a really cool idea.

4. I really don't like films enough to watch all those. I've seen Ripley and Hercules though. From that list I'd quite like to see Dead Man On Campus and Ruthless People, because they have good titles. The golf films and fuck off though, as can the ghastly "... Trip" franchise.

5. I'm rarely awake at such an ungodly hour. BUT if I am then I'll favour The Deadly Knowledge show, even though it's a bit poo. Dom is far too bald for so early in the morning.

6. No.

7. I'll wait for the film.

8. Ok. In July or August.


Maybe we shoulda done this in an email.

grimbin said...

In response to "Maybe we shoulda done this in an email", I say "no". This way is far better, kinda voyeuristic with people reading about our lives and how dull they are.
Oh that reminds me, what you think of my new idea...
I'm gonna try n make sum dough of the back of big bro by setting up videos cameras in my office so people can go to my website and watch me at work (or lack there of), wouldnt that be, groovy?
Should be a good method of advertising.
Failing that, Im organising a communial bbq in my office block, theres a lass i have my eye on so mite be a nice introduction to offer her a hamburger and a beer. Cant go wrong really can I?!