Wednesday, May 24, 2006

How can the light that burned so brightly, suddenly burn so pale?

It does seem quite absurd for me to cover a second animal burial in the space of about 3 days, but I thought I should mark the passing of a member of the family. Any more though and I will have to change the name of this place to "The Pet Cemmetry".

Yes, Tonto Thebunny King - beloved pet of however many years it's been now - died yesterday of death. He passed on in his winter run surrounded by lots of grass. We don't think he suffered.

It is true that we never really saw eye to eye, after the unfortunate biting Gareth incident that led to him being left outside with the foxes all night, but only a few weeks ago we agreed to put it all behind us when I took him a bit of toast and some tasty salad.

Last night at 8:45 me and the old man gave him a non-commital burial service. Due to immense grief and the fact that it was a bit nippy out, my mum elected not to attend.

I wore black and held a candle, which the wind blew out the moment Tonts' body was placed in his grave (a nice spot in his extended summer run, where he spent many a happy sunny day). We then played, rather ironically at this point, Candle In The Wind and disbanded.

I've been to a few funerals, and of all the dead rellies I've seen buried, this was by far the most moving.

RIP Tonto a.k.a. Tonts a.k.a. Mr Bunnikins a.k.a. The Rabbit a.k.a. That Hairy Little Fucker Who Bit Me a.k.a. "Oooh you've still got Oakley?" "Oh no no no, that's Tonto. Oakley got killed by a stray dog years ago".

You will be missed.


x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your pain. Our thoughts at Geek Pie are with you at this very sad time.

I had a rabbit once. Actually I had two. My Mum gave them away to the RSPCA, so the next day we buried her.

x

Gareth said...

By "gave them away to"... do you actually mean "reported us to"?

I may have to kill one of my folks actually. They're refusing to get a new bunny :(