Saturday, November 18, 2006

Like finding a bar of gold in a pile of shite.

Hello. There is a programme on ITV called The X Factor. It lasts for over three quarters of Saturday and features lots of celebrities* singing for the public vote, with fifteen minutes of adverts between each. Every week a (usually black) person or group gets voted off, and their dreams are shattered because they'll have to get real jobs.

There is also a website on The Internet called YouTube. Once you've established the one or two X Factor Contestants that aren't really crap, you can save yourself the utter tedium of the tv show by just watching their performances online the next day. Observe:



That was Eton Road - the only capable swimmers in this year's talent pool. Handled correctly they could be the next Girls Aloud. They have the same unique and clumsy charm, as well as the tendency to swing towards the good songs and away from Westlife territory.

The star of this particular boyband is their token gay. He is called Anthony and rewrites the Token Gay In The Boyband rules in many ways, mostly through the lack of highlights and the fact that he makes no attempt to hide his terrible affliction. Someone on Lowculture described him as the lovechild of Boy George and Annie Lennox. That says it all really.

Vote Eton Road!



x



*They're not celebrities when it starts, but the series goes on for so fucking long that we know them as well as the Beckhams by the midpoint.

6 comments:

Boz said...

I'm just glad it looks like he's had a meal now. He was emaciated in the semi's.

Enough is enough though. The McDonald Brothers and Ray (Eddie Munster) must be sent to the furthest, darkest pit in Hell for all eternity.

I am a nice person really. I just get a bit... irrational...

Gareth said...

I couldn't take my eyes of him in the semi's. He looked like he'd been computer generated, a bit like the aliens at the end of AI.

Ray is a smarmy little stage shool brat. I despise him. I don't think I've ever seen the McDonalds perform, but gather that they're really bad and it's just Scotchland keeping them in.

And the Eddie Munster thing is so very true! Creepy!

Anonymous said...

I loooooooooove Ray! Shush your mouths. And I'm not being (completely) shallow. Hes one of the few people that has pulled off covering Queen...cos he completely changed it! You're meant to make it your own. Gosh. And Louis can just die, right now.

Eton Road. Yesh. The bestest. I need you round here Gareth. I'm the only one that sticks up for ER here. Which was very hard last week when Anthony did that middle bit. Help.

& The McDonalds can just fuck right off. I'm sucker for a Scot, but they're just too damn tedious that they make me wanna stuff my ears with dynamite. & I'm told thats quite bad.

Doris said...

Is Anthony the one who looks a bit like Martine McCutcheon?

LaLa said...

I just googled him to work out which one he was (the dark haired gothy looking one, yes?)

Poor luv does look like he needs a bag of chips in some of the photos.

Gareth said...

Yup, you're both right (and hello Doris!). The funny thing is Lala, that after having a bag of chips his face went all chubby and he looks healthy now.

They were an incredible mess last night, singing I Don't Feel Like Dancing, and neally got sent home :(