Saturday, March 11, 2006

Academic.


So yeah, last Sunday was The 78th Academy Awards from The Kodak Theatre in Hollywood (I've been there! Eek!). I went home especially to watch 'em, coz I'm really sad and get overly excited about filmy things.

The results could have made me happier, but after a couple of years of suprise Oscar bliss (Lord Of The Rings getting everything in 2004, Clint Eastwood kicking Scorsese's ass in 2005) I can't really complain.

Except I will, because Brokeback Mountain is a far more accomplished piece of cinema than the justquitegood Crash. And Reese Witherspoon is fucking whiney, and should only be given an award if it can be guaranteed that she won't be able to attend the ceremony to pick it up in person. I also don't trust George Clooney. Not one bit.

The ceremony was sort of entertaining. It was quite nice to see Dolly Parton wheeled out, although I can't understand understand why she wasn't even nominated for Best Visual Effects. And the host, John "Who?" Stewart was moderately amusing, and far superior to that goofy twat from last year. It's still a shame it wasn't Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg or even Robin Williams though.

Fashionwise, I thought Nicole Kidman, Keira Knightley and Felicity Huffman looked nice. Whilst Charlize Theron looked fuckin' awful, like some sort of Quality Street Doctor Who Monster. I never used to care about the clothes, which makes me worry that I'm getting gayer.


x

No comments: